Butcher Block countertops
Butcher Block countertops are made of hardwoods, such as Maple, Oak, Teak, Birch, Walnut, and Cherry among other varieties. It is assembled product composed of strips of wood fused together to form a solid block. Whereas, the specific features and characteristics of a block will invariably vary from one countertop to the next, (dependent on the wood material used and the style in which it is crafted. Butcher block is artistic and very aesthetic.
The Butcher Block is available in different thicknesses.
- Thickness: 1 ¼”, 1 ½” & 1 ¾” / Length: Up to 120” / Width: Up to 30”
- Thickness: 3 ½” / Length: Up to 48” / Width: Up to 30”
Also, Butcher block has two different finishes:
- Mineral Oil: it is used on Butcher block to cut on it any type of food or meat.
- Oil, Verathane, or Marine varnish: It is used on Butcher block only for the look. Do not cut on it any type of food or meat.
The oil finishing is easy to clean. Stains and scratches can be easily sanded out, though the unsealed wood can be damaged by water. Refinishing wooden countertop can transform the countertop to look completely new. Hardwood has great qualities; it is strong and durable enough to hold up under any kind of pressure.
How to clean Butcher Block:
- Scrape off gunk or food residue: If necessary, use a metal pastry scraper or spatula to gently scrape any areas of the countertop where you find dried-on food or residue. Be careful to keep the blade at an angle where you just skim the surface to avoid gouging the wood.
- Scrub the countertop: Take a scrub brush or sponge and scrub the countertop with hot water and mild dish soap.
- Rinse with hot water: Run a clean dish cloth through hot water and rinse the countertop well.
- Sanitize with vinegar: Spray undiluted white vinegar onto the countertop, and let sit for a few minutes. Wipe off with a clean, damp dish cloth.
- Dry thoroughly: Using a clean dish towel or paper towel, thoroughly dry the countertop. You may also run the scraper down the countertop again to remove even more moisture.